I do not know if it is the fact we have 24-hour media coverage or the beginnings of the apocalypse, but it seems we are hearing more and more about natural disasters, flash mobs and terrorist attacks. The fact that these things occur should give us pause and make us all think twice before we assume it will not happen to us. Well, prior proper planning prevents poor performance.
One way to be properly prepared is having a go bag checklist.
A go bag or bug out bag is a pre-packed satchel or bag that contains an assortment of supplies that you may need in the case of an emergency where you have to leave your home or residence. The go bag needs to be large enough to carry a good amount supplies, but small enough that you can transport without much effort.
Here's a quick Go Bag checklist:
- Flashlights with extra batteries
- Water proof matches
- Pocket knife
- First aid kit
- Copies of identification cards
- List of emergency contact numbers
- Roll of quarters for phone calls
- An assortment of cash (small denominations)
- MRE (Meal Ready to Eat)
- Street map of your area
- Couple bottles of water (change them out regularly)
- Any and all prescription medications
- 100-mph tape
- All-purpose blanket and 550 chord (paracord)
This is obviously not an exhaustive list. You can add and subtract from your bag as you see fit or according to you and your family's possible needs. Either way, having this bag available could be the difference between success and failure in an emergency situation. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.